I’ve been asking my readers for a lot of advice lately. How to not get sick so much when you have toddler. Strategies for running a sub four hour marathon on low mileage and no 20 mile runs. This post is no different. My go to playlist of music is in serious need of an update. My current playlist consists of some all time favorites that have not been alternated out of the list since I had to dub the songs onto a cassette tape and lug around a huge $100+ Sony Walkman on my runs. This Walkman was bad ass in its day. It was state of the art and had five digital presets for my favorite radio stations. We can all thank whatever higher power we believe in for the invention of the iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle. The only downside of using an iPod when I run instead of the bulky Walkman is that my right bicep is significantly less developed from not carrying the bulky contraption on 10-20 mile runs.
When it comes to soliciting suggestions for songs to update my playlist, I must give full disclosure that my musical tastes are far from common in my age bracket. I am 34 years old, but I have rarely been interested in the current music being played on the radio. The presets in my car consist of two classic rock stations, three easy listening stations, and one country station. My presets consisted largely of this same breakdown when I got my first car at age 16. I rarely am caught listening to anything from this decade. With that being said, I am open to trying new things, so feel free to get creative with your suggestions for my new playlist.
To help you get started, I have created two lists below. The first, lists some of my all time favorite songs that rarely, if ever, have fallen out of heavy rotation on my running mixes in the last two decades (you will notice the newest song on my all time favorite list came out in 1993). The second list has a couple of newer songs that have made their way onto my current playlist. I’m not proud of some of the selections (Adam Lambert anyone?), but they are all catchy and help me get my miles in.
All Time Favorites:
- Going The Distance, Rocky Soundtrack
- Gonna Fly Now, Rocky Soundtrack
- Hearts on Fire, Rocky IV Soundtrack
- No Easy Way Out, Rocky IV Soundtrack
- War, Rocky IV Soundtrack
- Chariots of Fire, Chariots of Fire Soundtrack
- Living On A Prayer, Bon Jovi
- Where The Streets Have No Name, U2
- Running on Empty, Jackson Brown
- Hurts So Good, John Cougar Mellencamp
- Old Time Rock and Roll, Bob Seager
- Born To Run, Bruce Springsteen
- Highway To the Danger Zone, Kenny Loggins
- Mr. Jones, Counting Crows
Current Staples That Could Be Replaced At Any Time:
- Listen To The Beethoven, Warrior Soundtrack
- Demons, Imagine Dragons
- Check Yes or No, George Straight
- That Summer, Garth Brooks
- Bad Romance, Lady Gaga
- Stacy’s Mom, Fountains of Wayne
- Whataya Want From Me?, Adam Lambert
- We Didn’t Start The Fire, Billy Joel
- Love The Way You Lie, Eminem and Rhianna
- Walk On, U2
- Any number of Counting Crows or Ben Folds songs
I look forward to hearing what some of your favorite songs to run to are in the comments and to discovering some hidden gems that I have missed.