I have been getting the itch to write. Although my running has been going well, I haven’t had anything noteworthy to blog about. Short, Round, and Fast’s about page begins with the words “Marathon Runner, Husband, Father, Movie Buff, Pizza Addict”. While I am confident that I have spent plenty of time proclaiming my love for running, my family, and, of course, pizza; I have hardly spent any time writing about my love of movies. While I will still be doing posts about my running and Short, Round, and Fast super fans 1 & 2, I will also doing posts about my passion for movies. So, without further explanation, I declare like Ross from friends that it is time to PIVOT!
What movie related news is on my mind right now? Oh, you know, things like…
- How does a live action remake of Beauty and the Beast make over a Billion Dollars in a month?! It was the exact same movie people! My 4 year old daughter blurted out “dad, this is the exact same movie only weirder!” in the middle of our showing. Is nostalgia really that powerful? Disney certainly hopes so.
- How did Fate of the Furious (aka Fast and the Furious 8) end up with the largest worldwide opening ever ($536 million)?! We now live in a world where Fast and the Furious 8 outgrossed Star Wars Episode 7 worldwide during it’s opening weekend. Let that sink in people!
- Along the same lines… why does Vin Diesel still have a career?!
- What the HECK does Luke Skywalker mean by “I only know one truth. It’s time for the Jedi to end.”??? Obi-wan and Yoda are rolling over in their graves right now thinking, I knew we were wasting our time on that ungrateful little prick. We should have sent him to Tachi station to get those power converters and focused our efforts on Leia.
And last, but certainly not least…
- What Disney executive actually thinks that casting Will Smith as the Genie in the upcoming live action Aladdin remake is a good idea?! Will Smith hasn’t had a hit movie since 2008 and lost his bankable status shortly thereafter. You had a good run Will, but your chances of a comeback are not in your favor.
- Honestly, why does Disney think making a live action remake of Aladdin is necessary?! Here is some free advice to Disney… You don’t need to make live action versions of all of your animated classics! I am not being unreasonable. Disney currently has 19 live action remakes of their animated films in various stages of production. 19!
Phew! it feels good to get those questions out in the open. I know that many of my friends and followers are movie buffs. I also know that many of my friends and followers love a good argument / debate about movies. I welcome any and all comments and look forward to lively discussion.